There is a strong House tradition and allegiance at Enfield Grammar. Houses provide a framework for internal competitions, challenges, events and motivation to receive achievement points and rewards. It is hoped that every student will support his House and participate in as many activities as possible.

 

Total House Points Achieved – 1st half of Autumn Term 2020

By Houses

By Year Groups

Awarded Points

For more information on all Rewards & Awards please visit our  Rewards Page


Our Houses – Their History

 

We remain unsure of the exact reason, however, there are several ties with the local area of Forty Hill and the estate of Forty Hall ; a local area, there seems to have been a relationship with Forty Hill school, the Parker Bowles family resided at Forty Hall , with Henry Ferryman Parker Bowls being a conservative MP for Enfield and the Chair of Governors at the school
Named after Agnes Myddleton, who, in 1462 left an estate named Poynetts (in Essex) in her will to set up a chantry chapel in St Andrews church. This is where the origin of the current school comes from. The funds were converted to support a school, The chantry School, which ran with a headmaster from 1524 but as a site (house) can be dated back to 1398
Named after Agnes Myddleton who, in 1462 left an estate named Poynetts Estate (in Essex) in her will to set up a chantry chapel in St Andrews church. This is where the origin of the current school comes from. The funds were converted to support a school, The chantry School, which ran with a headmaster from 1524 but as a site (house) can be dated back to 1398
The naming of this House is, so far, a mystery to us!

Although, could there be a link to Elizabeth 1st?  Enfield Palace (now the site of Pearsons in Palace Gardens Shopping Centre) was built for Her and her half-brother, King Edward VI before she was queen and, therefore, very close by the school…..
Named after St Andrews Parish within where EGS is based
Named after Dr Robert Uvedale (Botanist & Scholar) – Headmaster from 1664 to 1676 and who gave his family motto to the school “Tant Que Je Puis” = “As Much As I Can”. Dr Uvedale was also known for bringing the Sweet Pea flower into England.